Okay, so tonight the kids had a birthday party to go to at Chuckie Cheese and John had to pick his car up from the auto body shop, (about 2 weeks ago a cement paver backed into his car and put a BIG hole in the door). We split up because the party started at 4 and his car would be done at 4:30. He met me at Chuckie Cheese when he was done so that I could have some help watching the kids. I had our niece Abbi with me, and 4 to 1 isn't a good ratio in a place with lots of strangers and a ton of blind spots! It took him longer at the body shop then he had anticipated, so by the time he had got there, I was ready to go.
He helped me load the kids in the car and we going to met back at home. By this time its about 7 and I still needed to go to the store to get Bradley new church shoes and a new white shirt (that kid is growing like a weed). I decided that because I needed gas I would just go to the Target that was right there as well. I figured it I would just be easier to run this little errand on my way home instead of going home picking up John and then heading back out.
My phone was just about dead at the party, but I had hoped that there would still be enough juice for me to make a quick call to John and let him know what I was up to. No such luck- it was completely dead!! I went ahead and went to Target, but they didn't have any black shoes and the white dress shirts weren't what I was looking for. Mind you, I have all 4 kids with me and of coarse they need to use the restroom. And of coarse its not just a quick pee wash hands and leave. I thought seriously that Bradley had drowned, he was in there for so long.
I get back in the car and look at the clock- CRAP it's just after 8 and John doesn't have a clue where I am. I know that he is probably worried and wondering where I must be.
But I still didn't have what I needed! (You're probably thinking, "Why don't you just go tomorrow?" and the answer is that we are getting family pictures done at 9am and I needed these things for them and I wouldn't have time tomorrow!) So I went to Walmart, which is just down the street from where I live. I figured that I would be in and out. NOPE! Hello! I should know that no matter the time of day, you always run into everyone you know at Walmart!! And I did! It was 9 when I had everything and got back to the car!
All I kept thinking was that, "John's going to kill me!!!" This kind of thing has never happened to him before. I'm an over-communicator! For this reason he always knows where I am and in the rare chance I forget to bring my phone or it dies he always knows where I'm headed! So I can imagine how worried he must be. I start thinking, " I wonder if he has called the police, worried that I might have been in an accident!"
I hurry home, as safely and as fast as I can. When I turn into our neighborhood- there is a car turning very close behind me. I notice that it looks like his car. AH-OH!!!!! I know that I'm in for it now! I had bought him some Now and Laters at the store and I'm trying to think of ways that I can say sorry and be cute and oops about it. It was then that I remember the candy and when he got to my door I held it up and said "If I give you this now, will you forgive me sooner than later?) Totally corny I know, but it was on it's way to working when Bradley, trying to be helpful shuts the garage door. I had opened the trunk door, so John runs to the garage door to stop it before it hits the van. When he did this, he pushed it up a little bit and somehow knocked it of it tracks. That did it! He was irate!!! All of the emotions that he had been feeling, all of the worry, turned to anger. I hurried and got the kids inside, because he started to cussing and hitting the garage door.
After I got the kids settled and ready for bed, I went back out to help him. He had calmed down some. Which I was happy about- I've never seen him that anger before! Luckily he was able to fix the garage door, and he calmed down even more.
All I could do was say sorry. I felt so awful! He asked me why I didn't use a pay phone. To be honest the thought did occur to me, but only when I was almost home, as something I should have done.
And sadly I was right, he had thought that I was in an accident. It went even worse then thinking that I must have been in a little fender bender. He thought that we had been hurt or worse. He had called my Dad and my sister Cassidy to see if they had seen me. He was also wondering how he was going to tell my sister Jami that Abbi may have been hurt or worse.
I feel so incredibly awful for worrying him so much. And I am so incredibly grateful that his worst fears hadn't come true. I think that from now on I will never leave my house without my phone charged and if for some reason I forget it, I put $2.00 in quarters in my car so that I can call him. If I cant get a hold of him, then I'll have enough to call someone else and let them know where I'm at.
One thing is for sure, I never want him to hurt or feel, that way ever again!!!!
[Watch] Guru on Redbox 2007
6 years ago




5 comments:
This sounds like something I would do to my husband. I am an over-communicator also and if I was just a little late my entire family would be calling.
Sorry to hear about your rough day. You should get a phone charger for your car! Hope you are all made up now- poor Jon! That is sweet that he worried so much.
I am the Queen of forgetting to let my husband know where i am- and there have been many times where he has started calling people because he's so nervous! I went a year and a half with out a cell phone- for the exact reason you posted about is why he came home with a new phone for me! It does sound like you will need a phone charger! I will say- there is no way I would have used a pay phone- I'm a chicken of germs and crazy people that would get me or my kids!:)
I'm amazed the candy thing didn't immediately solve the problem! I'm stealing that idea for future arguments with my husband.
I wondered if you guys had gotten a new car! I was going to ask, but now I know.
That is scary not knowing where your spouse is when they were supposed to be home AND they won't answer their cell. Frankie's worried me before getting off as late as he does and not answering his phone.
It's really funny to think that like 12 years ago (?) there were no cell phones (at least every didn't have one then), and we all survived- somehow! Seriously, think about it. Crazy, huh! I guess our parents just worried a lot more! haha!
Post a Comment